WORK STUDY FAQS
WORK STUDY FAQS
Work Study FAQs
Will the students be trained before they begin in our office?
Yes, students are trained in:
- Communication and relationship building
- Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Customer service skills
- Standard office equipment operation
- Office etiquette
- Dressing for success
- Conveying a positive first impression in the workplace
- Phone skills
- Filing and document handling
- Confidentiality and ethics in the workplace
- Workplace safety
- Team building
Do students choose where they work?
After considering students’ skill levels and interests as well as the skill sets needed by our sponsors, the Corporate Work Study Program staff will determine where students are placed.
What are our responsibilities as a Corporate Work Study partner?
Your three primary responsibilities are to:
- Provide a positive work environment for the students
- Provide a supervisor who believes in the program and the success of Cristo Rey students
- Provide meaningful work for the students and explain to them the importance of their role
If I have a problem with a student, do I deal with the student directly?
If there is ever an issue with a student in the workplace, you may deal with the student directly or you may contact the Corporate Work Study Program Office. Students may be replaced if there are any issues. In these rare cases, another student will be assigned.
Why should a business participate in the program and how much does it cost?
A mutually agreed upon wage will be charged for the services of each work study team (4 students).
There are many reasons to participate:
- Add productive, entry-level employees
- Cost-effective services for your business
- Free up lower-level employees for more value-added work
- Participation is deductible as a business expense
- Contribute to your workforce diversity
- Students do not qualify as headcount
- Benefit your local community with immediate payoff
- Corporate Work Study Program handles administrative expenses
- Develop a culture of community involvement among your employees
Are there guarantees to ensure the success of the students and the program?
Each student is evaluated on his/her performance at least twice during the school year. Students also have an opportunity to evaluate their workplace. Aside from the workshops mentioned above, additional workshops are conducted throughout the year to assist students in their learning process.
Is there a dress code?
The Corporate Work Study Program asks students to adhere to workplace dress standards at all times.
Is it possible to hire students during school breaks?
Yes, it is possible to hire students during school breaks. Since the Corporate Work Study Program operates like a staffing agency, it handles payment to the students earned for any extra work