|POSITION:||Assistant Principal for Academics|
Cristo Rey Jesuit High School Milwaukee seeks an Assistant Principal for Academics.
Are you hard-working and passionate about accompanying urban scholars on the journey through college to career?
Are you inspired by the transformative capacity of an innovative, culturally relevant Jesuit education?
Do you hold teachers to high expectations and support them tirelessly in becoming their best selves?
Are you an empathetic and courageous leader, ready to guide a diverse team in a fluid environment?
Are you efficient, data-driven, and communicative, able to manage multiple projects and stakeholder groups?
If so, Cristo Rey Jesuit High School needs your talent to enrich our supportive, college-bound learning community, serve families who embrace bold dreams for their children, and inspire students to lead through service with others.
About Cristo Rey Jesuit High School
Cristo Rey Jesuit (CRJ) Milwaukee is part of a national network of 37 high schools transforming urban education through a unique integration of college-prep academics, professional experience, and spiritual formation with a focus on students of limited financial means. At CRJ’s new $35 million campus, just across the Menomonee Valley from Marquette University, in the heart of Milwaukee’s dynamic Clarke Square, Cristo Rey serves a diverse student body of approximately 425 young men and women and 250 alumni. Students attend class four days per week and work in a professional setting one day per week through our innovative Corporate Work Study Program (CWSP). It is the collective mission of our staff to provide our students with a Jesuit education that ensures they students gain admission to—and ultimately graduate from—college. In pursuit of that goal, Cristo Rey staff collaborate, reflect, and practice to maximize their impact each day.
In this full-time, 12-month position, you will model dedication to developing the whole student in academics, religious growth, and service. You will serve as a key member of the academic leadership team and help guide the school to educate students to become leaders and “women and men for and with others” through academic traditions, practices and policies that foster CRJ’s Ignatian character. You will provide leadership and supervision of faculty and staff in collaboration with the Principal to ensure that the school delivers on its promised mission to provide each student with a rigorous college preparation in the Jesuit tradition through outstanding teaching and personal formation.
Your holistic approach will enhance CRJ’s identity as a Catholic, Jesuit, college-prep high school for students of diverse backgrounds. Your empathy and cultural dexterity will allow students, families, and staff to relate to you with confidence and trust. You will nurture collective efficacy on the faculty by focusing on innovation, collaboration, and impact that enables break-through student achievement. Your interpersonal intelligence, courage, and drive to find solutions will make you an integral member of our high-functioning, vibrant academic team — one grounded in a deep commitment to the school’s mission. By giving generously of yourself, your gifts, and your time, you will help grow a school that serves its students’ diverse needs and cultivates their many talents.
Development of Faculty & Staff
- Assist the Principal in developing teachers in instructional best practices, strong student relationships, aligned classroom policies, and CRJ’s Ignatian and academic vision, including through direct instructional coaching
- Assist the Principal in facilitating weekly meetings of department leads in the FAR (Formative Assessment for Results) framework, and support their development in developing efficacious, collaborative content teams
- Arrange and facilitate a series of monthly meetings for CRJ faculty and academic staff in their first year at CRJ
- Assist the Principal in the evaluation of teachers and implementation of professional growth plans and sessions
- Actively assist in the school’s administration of federal Title funding to provide access to supplemental professional development and to ensure targeted, high-impact student programming
Curriculum, Assessment, and Academic Programs and Supports
- Assist the Principal in identifying, reviewing and approving curriculum
- Work collaboratively with departments to ensure alignment between curriculum, assessment, instruction, and grades
- Assist with collecting, analyzing, and responding to student performance data in pursuit school-wide, grade-level, and course –specific goals
- Supervise the Student Success Team in designing, assigning, and measuring fidelity to equitable student interventions, and develop teachers and academic staff in high-impact student support strategies
- Supervise and enhance academic student support programs, including Learning Lab and Office Hours
- Oversee the course scheduling process for both faculty and students
- Ensure effective and clear student and faculty class schedules, exam schedules, grade reports, prefecture duty schedules, course description handbook; and other registrar related resources as needed
- Coordinate the construction of the annual school calendar
- Supervise the tracking and publishing of grade reports, honor roll lists, and transcripts
- Supervise compliance reporting necessary for maintaining accreditation
- Oversee annual updates to the CRJ Student & Family Handbook and student planner
- Serve as Acting Principal when the Principal is not in the building
- Partner with the Academic Leadership Team in a variety of efforts, including but not limited to graduation, Report Card Conferences, testing days, Back to School Night, and strategic planning.
- As a member of the Academic Leadership Team (ALT), actively support parent engagement in the school by participating in parent engagement events, meeting with parents, and generating parent communication as appropriate
- Assist the Principal in the recruiting and hiring of faculty and staff
- Assist the graduation committee in organizing, planning, and supervising annual commencement exercises
- Assist the Counseling office in organizing and supervising school-wide testing
- Maintain a visible, accessible presence throughout the school day
- Supervise and attend after-school and weekend activities as assigned
- Plan and actively lead assemblies
- Meet and work with both internal and external constituencies, and serve on committees to foster unity of purpose, common understanding and teamwork, and to promote the mission and vision of the school.
- Maintain contact and working relationships with cohorts of assistant principals in the Jesuit Schools Network, Cristo Rey Network, and the Archdiocese of Milwaukee.
- Other duties as assigned by the principal to advance the CRJ mission and vision.
Professional Presence & Ignatian Leadership
- Model CRJ’s core Ignatian values: considering context, reflecting on experience, and taking action; treating all stakeholders with empathy and love; modeling excellence; prioritizing effectively; following through with commitments; communicating with integrity; serving others; expressing gratitude; spreading optimism and joy
- Approach your personal and professional growth through a developmental lens, and enthusiastically participate in professional development and formation; seek and apply feedback from leadership and colleagues; demonstrate drive and independence in accessing resources to further your own growth
- Contribute fully, intentionally, and constructively to the team — the Board, school leadership, CWSP staff, student and parents, and faculty and school staff—in a range of contexts; collaborate with integrity, humility, commitment, and joy to ensure the foundation of trust that will enable the team to accomplish its ambitious goals.
- Embrace the school’s goals and results as the collective responsibility of the entire Cristo Rey community; collaborate with colleagues to maximize the team’s impact; seek opportunities to push the team, to laugh with colleagues, and to recognize and celebrate the school’s accomplishments.
Cristo Rey Jesuit High School encourages applicants of all backgrounds and provides equal employment opportunities to applicants of any race, ethnicity, religion, sex, or national origin. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
Successful applicants will embody the mission-commitment, intellectual curiosity, openness to growth, optimism, and zest that are central to the character of our founding team. In addition, they will meet or exceed the following requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree plus demonstrable progress towards a master’s degree in school leadership
- License as a school administrator or demonstrable progress towards obtaining licensure
- Fluency in Spanish and English
- Record of strong student achievement as a middle school and/or high school teacher
- Evidence of ability to further the school’s unique Jesuit mission
- Success leading adults and shaping a high-performing culture of teaching, learning, and student formation
- Proficiency using technology to communicate and to track and analyze data
To apply, submit all of the following in pdf format (as one document, if possible) to email@example.com, and include the position in the subject line.
- Cover letter highlighting your interest in and readiness for this position
- Contact information for three professional references (email and phone number)
- Undergraduate and graduate (if appropriate) transcripts
Cristo Rey Jesuit High School provides equal employment opportunities to applicants without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, sex, or national origin.