|START DATE:||2021-22 School Year|
For 2021-22, Cristo Rey Jesuit seeks a full time Spanish teacher (Grades 10 and 11).
Are you hard-working and committed to accompanying urban students on the journey through high school to college?
Are you inspired by the transformative capacity of Catholic education in the Jesuit tradition?
Are you passionate about building a just and equitable learning environment that empowers students?
Are you courageous, energetic, and optimistic, quick to recognize the good in every student?
Are you an empathetic listener who builds trusting relationships with students, parents, and colleagues?
Are you growth-oriented, maximizing feedback to ensure your students’ development—as well as your own?
Are you organized and efficient, able to fulfill varied responsibilities in a fast-paced environment?
If so, Cristo Rey Jesuit High School needs your talent to enrich our supportive, college-bound learning community, serve families who embrace bold dreams for their children, and inspire students to lead through service to others.
About Cristo Rey Jesuit High School
Cristo Rey Jesuit (CRJ) Milwaukee is part of a national network of 36 high schools transforming urban education through a unique integration of college prep academics, professional experience, and spiritual formation with a focus on students of limited financial means. At CRJ’s new $35 million campus, just across the Menomonee Valley from Marquette University in the heart of Milwaukee’s dynamic Clarke Square Cristo Rey serves a diverse student body of
approximately 425 young men and women and 300 alumni. Students attend class four days per week and through our innovative Corporate Work Study Program (work in a professional setting one day per week. It is the collective goal of our staff to ensure that our students gain admission to-and ultimately graduate from-college. In pursuit of that goal, Cristo Rey teachers collaborate, reflect, and practice to maximize their impact each day.
As part of Cristo Rey’s faculty, you will educate students in mind and spirit. Through engaging, data-informed, culturally responsive instruction, you will prepare students for college and equip them with the habits of mind that undergird success. Your relentlessness, zest, and commitment to excellence will help form a student body distinguished by breakthrough achievement gains, a passion for justice, and readiness for the professional world. In the spirit of Ignatian pedagogy, you will create opportunities for students to act, reflect, and grow as they become men and women for and with others. Your emotional intelligence, courage, and solutions orientation will make you an integral member of our vibrant team one grounded in the school’s Jesuit mission. By giving generously of yourself, you will help shape a school that serves its students’ diverse needs and cultivates their many talents.
- Guided by the Cristo Rey Network’s benchmarks, implement relevant, college prep curricula that ensure exceptional student achievement gains on Cristo Rey and AP exams the ACT and the SAT.
Design and administer formative and summative assessments; analyze and adjust instruction in response
Engage students through equitable, culturally relevant teaching practices and accelerate student growth through feedback, disciplinary literacy skills , and high impact technology.
Prioritize and manage your time to follow through on the various responsibilities of excellent teaching: planning, teaching, giving feedback, intervening grading, collaborating, differentiating, and reflecting
Provide one on one and small group tutoring to students in class and after school.
Build a relationship with each student in the spirit of cura personalis (care for the whole person).
Forge strong partnerships with parents, and communicate frequently with them to support your students.
Maintain an equitable, vibrant classroom environment that conveys warmth, order, and a sense of belonging.
Consistently uphold school wide discipline practices and routines as well as norms for student behavior.
- Approach teaching as a perpetual learner; seek and apply feedback on your instruction; deeply engage in CRJ professional development; independently access resources to further your own growth.
Collaborate with peers with integrity, humility, commitment, humor, and joy to ensure the foundation of trust that will enable the team to accomplish ambitious goals.
Make your teaching public to colleagues through analysis of your teaching, student work, and student data
Embrace the school’s goals and results as t he collective responsibility of the entire staff.
Model values consistent with Catholic, Jesuit education and the CRJ Graduate at Graduation values
Engage in honest self reflection and listening, courageous conversations, and ongoing development as a professional committed to creating a diverse, equitable, and inclusive school and workplace.
Seek opportunities to push the team, to laugh with colleagues, and to celebrate peers’ accomplishments.
Problem solve challenges with humility, creativity, and resilience.
Student Support and Contribution to School
- Contribute to a grade level team by meeting weekly, coming prepared, and following through on action items
- Co-lead a student formation advisory to help students develop the CRJ Graduate at Graduation values.
- Provide targeted student support in a daily learning lab (“study hall”).
- Assist with moderating a student club.
- Actively monitor class transitions to ensure a calm and orderly environment.
- Substitute teach as requested by school leadership.
- Attend and chaperone school events, including retreats, athletic events, liturgies, service trips and dances.
Successful applicants will embody the mission alignment , openness to growth, commitment to equity, optimism and zest that are central to the character of our staff and they will meet or exceed the following requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree with a major, minor, or comparable credential of content expertise in the primary teaching discipline (master’s degree in primary teaching discipline preferred).
- Teaching license in the primary teaching discipline or demonstrable progress towards obtaining licensure.
- Record of strong student achievement as a middle school or high school teacher.
- Proficiency using technology to advance teaching and learning.
Experience working with English learners and/or Spanish language proficiency a plus.
To apply, submit all of the following in pdf format (preferably in one document, if possible) to email@example.com. Include the position in the subject line of your email (e.g. Faculty: Math). Direct questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Cover letter underscoring your interest in and readiness for the position
- Undergraduate transcripts; graduate transcripts, if applicable
- Two professional letters of reference
Cristo Rey Jesuit High School encourages applicants of all backgrounds and provides equal employment opportunities to applicants of any race, ethnicity, religion, sex , or national origin.