|START DATE:||2019-20 School Year|
TEACH. INSPIRE. LEAD.
Are you hard-working and passionate about helping urban students graduate from high school and college?
Are you inspired by the transformative capacity of Catholic education in the Jesuit tradition?
Do you hold all students to high expectations and support them tirelessly in reaching challenging goals?
Are you an energetic, optimistic leader who can inspire adults to action and make things happen?
Are you an empathetic listener who builds trusting relationships with students, parents, and colleagues?
Are you growth-oriented, committed to making continuous progress to improve yourself and your school?
Are you organized and efficient, consistently fulfilling varied responsibilities in a fast-paced environment?
If so, Cristo Rey Jesuit High School needs you to help lead a college-prep, inclusive, Catholic learning community, inspire families to pursue bold dreams for their children, and accompany students in service to others.
ABOUT CRISTO REY
Cristo Rey Jesuit in Milwaukee is part of national network of 37 Catholic high schools that are transforming education through a unique integration of rigorous academics, professional experience, and spiritual formation. Cristo Rey Milwaukee serves approximately 400 young men and women of limited financial means, and our innovative model calls for students to attend class four days per week and work in a professional setting five days per month through our Corporate Work Study Program (CWSP). While some of our students enter high school below grade-level academically, it is the collective mission of our staff to ensure that our students gain admission to—and ultimately graduate from—college. In pursuit of that goal, Cristo Rey has a longer school day and an extended academic year, and our teachers innovate, plan, reflect, and practice so that they maximize their impact in the classroom. The Cristo Rey team believes that a sound intellect is only one crucial component of preparation for college and life. Through both their CWSP experience and CRJ’s intentional character and spiritual formation, Cristo Rey students develop the work ethic, resilience, confidence, empathy, openness to growth, and commitment to justice that help ensure their long-term success and their ability to lead through example.
As part of CRJ’s school leadership team, you will blend ambitious vision with detailed systems thinking to nurture a robust academic culture that cultivates growth, resilience, and achievement by challenging students and ensuring they receive coordinated, data-informed support. Your holistic approach will enhance CRJ’s identity as a Catholic, Jesuit, college-prep high school for students of diverse backgrounds. Your empathy, compassion, and fluency in Spanish and English will allow students, families, and staff to approach you with confidence and trust. Your leadership will enable breakthrough student achievement by nurturing collective efficacy among the teaching staff and by focusing on innovation, hard work, and results. Your interpersonal intelligence, courage, and drive to find solutions will make you an integral member of our high-functioning, vibrant team—one that is grounded in a deep commitment to the school’s mission. Ultimately, by giving generously of yourself, your gifts, and your time, you will help grow a school that serves its students’ diverse needs and cultivates their many talents.
- Work closely with the principal and school leadership team (SLT) to develop and sustain Cristo Rey’s college-prep academic culture.
- Ensure robust and effective data-driven student support through systematic, ongoing oversight of student performance data and strategic coordination of the Student Support Team, Academic Assistance Program, school counselors, grade-level teams and other staff to identify and provide appropriate resources.
- Maximize, improve and expand academic support practices at the school, including after-school learning support (ASLS) and learning lab; revise them as appropriate, and ensure staff implement them effectively.
- Model exemplary direct student support, and train teachers and other staff to provide this direct support as advisors and mentors to students.
- Co-design and oversee events that proactively nurture a positive academic culture, including those that recognize students’ accomplishments, nurture student growth, and forge strong community identity.
- Work closely with the principal, SLT, dean of students, and counseling staff to ensure effective support and accountability for students struggling with attendance and/or behavioral concerns.
- Work closely with the principal and SLT to orient new staff, determine the faculty’s professional development needs, and help design and lead high-impact professional development to ensure teacher growth.
- Provide high-impact instructional coaching to a portfolio of teachers, including frequent informal observations and feedback and bi-annual evaluations.
- Work closely and effectively with parents and families in support of students struggling to meet expectations.
- Coordinate and help execute effective, responsive parent-engagement events to strengthen connections between parents and the CRJ mission.
- Recruit, onboard, and strategically match volunteer tutors to work directly with students in need of support; oversee and coordinate student-led tutoring groups.
- Oversee the coordination and administration of college-access testing (ACT, SAT, etc.); guide the school, academic departments, and the school in effectively analyzing and responding to student performance data.
- Maintain a consistent and visible presence throughout the building during the school day and at school-based events beyond the school day.
- Assume additional responsibilities as deemed necessary by the principal to advance the Cristo Rey mission.
- Lead by modeling the school’s core values and serving as an exemplar of the mission: treating all stakeholders with empathy and love, modeling excellence in your work, prioritizing effectively, following through with commitments, communicating with integrity, serving others, spreading optimism and joy.
- Approach your professional practice through a developmental lens, and enthusiastically participate in professional development; seek and apply feedback from leadership and from colleagues in the interest of growth; demonstrate drive and independence in accessing resources to further your own improvement.
- Contribute fully, intentionally, and constructively to the team—the Board, school leadership, CWSP staff, and faculty and school staff—in a range of contexts; collaborate with integrity, humility, commitment, and joy to ensure the foundation of trust that will enable the team to accomplish its ambitious goals.
- Embrace the team’s goals and the results we achieve as the collective responsibility of the entire Cristo Rey team; collaborate with colleagues to maximize the team’s impact; seek opportunities to push the team, to laugh with colleagues, and to recognize and celebrate the team’s accomplishments.
Successful applicants will embody the mission-commitment, intellectual curiosity, openness to growth, optimism, and zest that are central to the character of our founding team. In addition, they will meet or exceed the following requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree plus demonstrable progress towards a master’s degree in school leadership;
- License as a school administrator or demonstrable progress towards obtaining licensure;
- Record of strong student achievement as a middle school and/or high school teacher;
- Success leading adults and shaping a high-performing culture of teaching and learning;
- Proficiency using technology to communicate and to track and analyze data;
- Fluency in Spanish and English.
To apply, submit all of the following in pdf format (as one document, if possible) to firstname.lastname@example.org, and include the position in the subject line.
- Cover letter that articulates your interest in and readiness for the position
- Contact information for three professional references (email and phone number)
- Undergraduate and graduate (where appropriate) transcripts
Cristo Rey Jesuit High School provides equal employment opportunities to applicants without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, sex, or national origin. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.